Saturday, October 29, 2016

Stitched-up Monster

I decided to do a look that many people could do, even with just basic makeup.



Difficulty: Easy-Difficult

Needs:

  • Foundation in 2+ shades
  • Lip liner
  • Eye liner (pref. black)
  • Mirror
Optional Supplies:
  • Nose and Scar Wax or Scar Putty
  • Liquid Latex
  • Brushes/Applicators
    • I used a brush and a beauty blender for makeup
    • I used part of a sponge for the liquid latex
  • BB cream or CC cream
  • Picture reference (for specific characters only)
  • Colored contact
  • Mascara
Estimated cost: Free to $8, depending on how much you want to invest.


Note: 
The left side of my face in each picture is the "low tech" option, which you can do with basic makeup. The right side has the liquid latex and scar putty, which you can get for as little as $4 each.

Step One: Divide up face

I wanted to do a Frankenstein's monster look (a la the books, not the movie), so I wanted there to be several different sections. If you are following a specific design, like Sally from 'The Nightmare Before Christmas," then you'll want to look at a reference picture to see where her seams are.

For this, I used a lip liner, though you could use a brown or black eyeliner, depending on the look you are going for.

Step Two: Apply any texture (optional)
If you are going to use texture, this is the time to apply. I used two different techniques with liquid latex. For the first one, I just sponged on texture with a piece of sponge from the Dollar Tree. This gave a nasty texture to the finished product. It was noticeable, but subtle enough to look realistic. 

For the other texture, I slathered on liquid latex while holding the skin taught. Some people do this b y pulling with their hand, but I just made a weird face to keep the skin taught, so that I could have both hands free. I held the position until the latex dried, and when I relaxed, the skin wrinkled and looked drastically aged.


My "gotta make latex wrinkles" face.
Slathering on latex for wrinkles.

Finished wrinkles, pre-foundation.

Above and below the "seam."
Centered on the "seam."
I also used Scar Putty from Spirit Halloween to create a ridge along a seam, in two different places. One above the seam, one below, so you can see what both options look like. I prefer the one below the seam. I also did one across the seam, and then cut through it and added color to where the two pieces "meet." I used Scar Putty, as I wanted to use something available to everyone, but I'm not fond of it. If you're looking for long wear, I'd either skip this, or consider using liquid latex to help hold it in place. It held up for the three hours I wore it out shopping and talking, but I wouldn't trust it for a full day.

Step Three: Apply foundation shades

The more contrast you have, the better, but you don't want to go too dark. My favorite section ended up being the part I did with a BB cream/CC cream mix, where it looks a sickly white. If you have the option, "cool" foundation undertones will help you look dead.

There are five sections in my face, but how many you do is up to you. To keep costs down, you might ask a friend(s) if you can use a bit of their foundation, or if you have different shades for contouring, those work as well. I like the drastic look of the BB/CC section and the dark section... It's really eye-catching, in my opinion.

I used a beauty blender to cover quickly, then went in with a brush for the edges along the lip liner. It wasn't perfect, but I cleaned that up later.

If you do a wrinkle effect with liquid latex, make sure the skin is taught again when you apply foundation over it, and let it dry taught. 

Make sure to use foundation over any Scar Putty, as well, to blend it into the rest of the skin. You may consider using your blender or brush to give it some texture to make it blend better, as well. 

Step Four: Detail

Go back in and fix anywhere the lip liner is covered with foundation.

Use eye liner (I recommend black) to create stitches. I chose not to do stitches over the Scar Putty, but if you wish to, use short segments of black thread, either pressed into the putty or glued to it. I left it off, instead adding some "loose thread" in eye liner, as if my stitches were coming undone, which was why the seam was rippling. 

If you have colored contacts, put one in the eye of your choice, leaving the other its' natural color. 

You may consider using  mascara to darken an eyebrow or eyelash, to give contrast between two sections of "different donors," as I did.

You might even have one eye/eyebrow done up with false lashes and a perfect brow. Any sort of contrast like that adds.

Step Five: Setting (optional) and costume

If you use a setting spray, use it now.

For a costume, any ill-fitting clothes would do.





Post a Comment